- Reading Picture Books as a group and talking about key themes. Building listening skills and social skills with peers.
- Encourage reading for enjoyment -listening to stories and group discussion of themes and independent reading.
- Basic library skills (Areas of library, Parts of and care of books, Nonfiction vs. Fiction, Author/Illustrator)
- Author studies
- Participation in North Carolina Children’s Book Awards program
- Literary Genres (2nd Grade)
- Author Visits
- Encourage independent reading
- Responsibility of book check out and care
- Library skills (Call Numbers, Dewey Organization, Destiny Catalog, Independent Search)
- Projects and quizzes to support lessons
- Basic research skills
- Literary Elements
Middle School: Information Literacy
The Information Literacy curriculum builds upon basic research skills learned in elementary grades and focuses on more advanced literacy skills, literature & critical inquiry. Assignments and projects will be completed during class periods in the library and will often be collaborative assignments with classroom teachers.
- Information Access (multiple: books, journals, articles & online encyclopedias)
- Information Evaluation (reliable and authoritative sources, News Literacy)
- Ethical Use of Information (citing sources & creating Bibliographies/MLA Style
Library print collection (fiction, nonfiction, reference, periodicals)World Book Online Encyclopedia
Educational videos and websites